Wednesday 27 June 2012

So this is it...

As the title suggests, i'm writing this post on the eve of what will be my last shift at my current employment..

Tomorrow (Thursday 28th June) will be the day i say my goodbyes to the people i spent the best part of 6 years working with. It will most likely culminate with a heavy drinking session and a hangover from hell the next day..

I havent really explained yet what and where i'm going... maybe i should start from the beginning....

Ok, so about a month or more ago now, my best friend from school got in touch (slightly out of the blue) and proposed we go traveling together somewhere. I should also add at this point, unlike many of my friends who went traveling after college or uni... i had never made the leap into the unknown world before me... i took the more accepted route from education straight into employment.. which i feel sometimes was slightly dictated to me.. but thats another story.

So after agreeing that we should go traveling and suggesting that either a Trans-Siberian Railway was one option, or another being a road trip across the states as the other..

A few weeks passed, and then a phone call from Will was received.  "Yo Adriannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn" "Yo Willlllll.i.ammmmmmmmmmm" (this is the standard greeting between me and will) "Road Trip across america, you in?" "ummmmm YES!"
[this is roughly along the lines of the conversation that was had]

So in the following weeks i then needed to look at if i had any possible funding, and what do do about work.. i decided the best route for work was to go for a Sabbatical leave of absence... and for funding, my parents informed me that i did have some 'savings' left to me by relatives...

I confirmed to Will later that week that i was 100% in.. so approx 1 month ago today, i told work of my decision to leave in order to go travel...

And the rest they say is history...  thats really about it for now.. only to add that i fly on the 16th of July and still need to get my visa approved, get an international driving permit... travel insurance..

I'll write again soon explaining more about what we plan to do on the trip... apart from the usual tourist things..

No comments:

Post a Comment